The Delaware Judicial Externship Program offers you the chance to experience the law from the prospective of the court. Participants earn academic credit for a full year of conducting legal research, observing judicial proceedings, and drafting documents as a court clerk.
As a Widener Law judicial extern, you will receive challenging and rewarding assignments and improve your legal writing skills while you receive valuable professional advice from your mentor. Placement options include the highly respected Delaware Court of Chancery, the state Supreme Courts of Delaware, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey, or the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, which has seats in both Philadelphia and Wilmington. Widener externs have been placed with the following courts:
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit (Philadelphia, Wilmington)
- United States District Court (Delaware, New Jersey, Eastern District of Pennsylvania)
- United States Bankruptcy Court (Delaware)
- United States Magistrate Court (Philadelphia, Wilmington)
- Supreme Court, State of Delaware
- Chancery Court, State of Delaware
- Superior Court, State of Delaware
- Family Court, State of Delaware
New Jersey Courts
- Supreme Court, State of New Jersey
- Superior Court, State of New Jersey, Civil, Criminal, Family and General Equity Divisions, in Atlantic, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Mercer, Monmouth, Ocean, and Somerset Counties
- Supreme Court, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Superior Court, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- Court of Common Pleas, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia counties.
- Circuit Court of Baltimore County
- Circuit Court of Cecil County
Director: Professor Francis J. Catania, Jr.