Business Phone: 215.772.7683
123 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19109
- Undergraduate School: University of Albany, 1980
- Law School: Albany Law School at Union University, 1987
- Admitted to practice law in: United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits; United States Tax Court; United States District Court for the Northern District of New York; United States District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania; United States District Court for Washington, D.C.; and the states of New York and Pennsylvania.
Ellen C. Brotman is a partner in the firm's litigation department. She concentrates her practice on government investigations and white collar criminal defense and representation of attorneys before the Disciplinary Board of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. Ms. Brotman has defended a wide variety of criminal cases, including political and public corruption, corporate securities fraud, tax fraud, money laundering, currency structuring and other white collar crimes involving complex trial, sentencing and appellate issues. Ms. Brotman is a Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP), having received certification from the Society of Corporate Compliance & Ethics (SCCE) Academy in September 2010.
Prior to joining Montgomery McCracken, Ms. Brotman was a partner at Carroll & Brotman for four years, where she concentrated her practice on criminal defense in federal courts and represented professionals in state disciplinary proceedings.
From 1995 to 1998, as an assistant federal defender with the Defender Association of Philadelphia, she provided criminal defense for indigent clients in federal court at trial and appellate levels. Before coming to Philadelphia, Ms. Brotman served as a law clerk to Hon. Lee P. Gagliardi, United States District Judge, Southern District of New York.
Ms. Brotman is a member of the board of the Pennsylvania Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. She is on the Executive Committee of the Federal Bar Association's Criminal Law Committee and co-chair of the ABA's White Collar Crime Subcommitte on Tax Fraud.
Ms. Brotman is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 editions in the category of Criminal Defense. She is included among the firm's 2008, 2009 and 2010 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for her work in the White Collar Criminal Defense area of practice.
Ms. Brotman serves on the board of the People's Emergency Center, a non-profit agency that assists homeless women, teen girls and their children in Pennsylvania achieve financial independence through a holistic approach of education, housing, and community support.
Ms. Brotman speaks frequently on the subjects of criminal defense and professional responsibility related matters. Her most recent presentations include:
- "Cushioning the Blow: Practical Tips for Sentencing Mitigation," course planner and speaker, PBI, For the Experienced - The Ultimate Criminal Law CLE Program (2010);
- "The Nationalization and Globalization of Legal Ethics and Lawyer Regulation," panelist, Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (2010);
- "Recent Trends in Mitigation of Discipline," Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board Hearing Committee Retreat (2010, 2008, 2007, 2006);
- "Second Annual Sentencing Advocacy, Practice and Reform Institute, with Special Focus on Reentry," panelist, ABA Criminal Justice Section (2009);
- "Easing the Pain: Theories and Themes in White Collar Sentencing," presenter, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2009);
- "Deconstruction: A Frontal Assault of the Guidelines," presenter, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (2009);
- "Representing Employees in Internal and Grand Jury Investigations," panelist, ABA's Young Lawyers' Division of the White Collar Crime Committee (2009);
Admitted to Practice:
Ms. Brotman is admitted to practice in United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits, United States Tax Court, United States District Court for the Northern District of New York; United States District Court for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, United States District Court for Washington, D.C., and the states of New York and Pennsylvania.Education:
Ms. Brotman received a J.D. degree from Albany Law School at Union University in 1987 where she served as note and comment editor of the Albany Law Review. She received a B.A. degree magna cum laude in Political Science from the University of Albany in 1980.