June 22 - July 9, 2015 Download the Summer Corporate Institute 2014 Brochure
Widener University School of Law’s Summer Corporate Institute is for U.S. law students, U.S. attorneys, international attorneys and law students from around the world. Being Delaware’s only law school Widener is the perfect place to study United States and Delaware corporate law. The three-week Summer Institute provides an in depth Delaware focused program in U.S. corporate law for those interested in a career in corporate and business law. The program is being offered through Widener's Institute of Delaware Corporate & Business Law
The State of Delaware is the acknowledged leader and premier governing authority for U.S. Corporations. This program is designed for the practicing attorneys or students who want an in-depth program on the workings of Delaware and U.S. Corporate law. This program is also suitable for current U.S. law students who have completed a basic course in business organizations and are looking to enrich their studies with an advanced course in Delaware Corporation Law.
Topics addressed in this program will include:
Widener Law is the home of Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
- shareholder electoral power
- managerial power and fiduciary duties of the board of directors
- role of judicial review in providing board accountability to shareholders
- directors’ fiduciary duty of disclosure under state law
- role of directors and shareholders in mergers and acquisition transactions
The Delaware Journal of Corporate Law
is ranked #1 among student-edited journals for case citations in federal and state court opinions under "Corporations and Associations" and "Commercial Law," and 2nd among student-edited print journals for journal cites in "Corporations and Associations."Widener Law is the only law school located in the "Corporate Capital of the U.S."
- Delaware is considered America's unofficial "Corporate Law Capital."
- Over one million business entities call Delaware their legal home.
- Corporations choose Delaware because Delaware has one of the most advanced and flexible corporate statutes in the nation; the Delaware General Corporation Law.
- Delaware corporation law is studied in almost every corporation course in law schools globally.
Widener University School of Law’s Summer Corporate Institute is led by Associate Professor Paul Regan, of Widener’s Institute of Delaware Corporate and Business Law. Guest lecturers have included Vice Chancellor Donald F. Parsons Jr. of the renowned Delaware Court of Chancery, and Randall Herndon of Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP.Institute Excursions
While attending the Summer Institute, students have taken time to visit the National Constitution Center
in Philadelphia, the United Nations
in New York, and the U.S. Supreme Court
in Washington, D.C. When visiting Washington, D.C., students have had personal meetings with the deputy counsel to the Vice President of the United States. Vice President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. was a long-time Widener Law adjunct faculty member before his election. Visits have also been made to the United States Securities and Exchange Commission
where lectures have been given by the Deputy Chief Counsel, Division of Corporation Finance. Classes regularly visit the law offices of the DuPont Corporation
and the Delaware Court of Chancery
.Student Life Benefits
Program at a Glance
- On-campus housing.
- Accessible faculty and administration.
- Access to exercise facilities including pool and weight room.
- Multiple restaurants, retail stores, movie theaters, and shopping malls within walking distance.
- Delaware is known for tax-free shopping.
- Driving distance to New York City, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., and local beaches.
- Twenty minutes to the train station or the Philadelphia Airport.
FULL PROGRAM TUITION: $4500 Download an ApplicationContact Information
COST INCLUDES: Tuition, course materials, housing, breakfast and lunch on class days, and transportation to special events.
CANCELLATION POLICY: In the event of a cancellation of the program, Widener will refund all money advanced by the student to Widener University School of Law. Funds will be refunded within twenty (20) days after the date of cancellation.
LIABILITY & INSURANCE: Widener University will not be responsible for personal injury, illness, or for loss or damage to personal property in the program. We advise participants to take out insurance for their trip against lost or damaged baggage as well as against accident and trip cancellation.
WIDENER UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW
Graduate Programs Office
4601 Concord Pike, P. O. Box 7474
Wilmington, DE 19803-0474
Phone: +1 302.477.2780
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgStandard Disclaimer for External Links